Home-ground Whole Wheat Bread test

"hghaynes" <hghaynes@comcast.net>
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:48:32 -0800
v104.n050.14
Okay, now I'm a believer!

I baked two loaves -- one using KA whole wheat flour (recently purchased)
and the other using hard wheat berries that I ground in my coffee mill
(that is usually only used for grinding flax).  I used my bread machine,
same cycle and the same recipe for each loaf.

Difference:
  * Texture: KA Flour loaf was much denser
  * Smell: Home ground load had a fresher smell
  * Color: KA loaf was a darker color, while home ground load was more
golden in color
  * Taste: KA loaf left a slight bitter after taste; home ground load had
no after taste
  * Spouse Evaluation: Home ground from now on

I'm assuming from what I have read here, that the reason for the difference
is that KA whole wheat, while an excellent product, just doesn't turn over
fast enough on the grocery shelf to be "fresh".  Next I'm going to try
spelt berries because I finally quit baking spelt bread because of the
bitter aftertaste.

So now what do I do with nearly 5 pounds of recently purchase KA Whole
Wheat flour?

By the way, those of you who told the coffee mill would work fine were
absolutely correct.  Thanks!

Holly

Save old recipes and memories by visiting http://www.heritagerecipes.com