coffee grinder for grain

Linda C <chasebusiness@sbcglobal.net>
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:13:12 -0800 (PST)
v104.n050.7
Yes, I used a coffee grinder for a long time to add maybe up to a cup of
fresh ground flour per loaf, but when I wanted to go all whole wheat, I
bought my grain mill.  I even bought a corn grinder from Mexico and tried
to hand grind, but it wouldn't grind it fine enough.

I went through 3 or 4 coffee grinders, but they are cheap.  The coffee
grinder works well, but overheats quickly, so you can do one, maybe two
batches at a sitting and then it needs to cool COMPLETELY before you can do
more.  It made me sure I wanted to buy a mill.  You won't regret buying one
if you have a good source of grain and want fresh flour around.  It doesn't
compare to anything I've bought at the store or a whole foods store.  I
grind golden wheat and pastry grain, usually.  I've ground kamut and others
in the past.   But over a year ago I purchased 250 lbs of grain in nitrogen
packed buckets and have been grinding every couple of weeks since.  I grind
1 big canister or more full of each grain and store most of it in the freezer.

I know it sounds weird, but I love the smell and the feel of fresh ground
flour and love to bake with it.   Between the grinder and the kitchen aid
to help out kneading... bread baking is a breeze even when I'm busy.

Good luck to you!
Linda

Blessya'bunches from a Native Texan
who loves to Quilt, Craft and Bake !!!