Re: grinding wheat in a coffee grinder

"Peter Robinson" <ranchoverde@commspeed.net>
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 06:37:40 -0700
v104.n050.3
>This is probably a silly question -- but has anyone ever used their coffee
>mill to grind wheat?  I'd like to try grinding some coarse whole wheat
>(like we use to get in Kansas in the '50s) but I don't want to buy a grain
>mill until I know I'm going to do it regularly.  What do you all think?

In 1950 we used an old coffee mill as there were no "flour" mills
available. It was very large with a large hopper on each side. It would
coarse grind on one side and we then put that into the other side set as
fine as it would go and made useable flour from the local wheat (Walla
Walla, Washington). At about that time we bought an 8" Meadows Mill that I
still have.

I put a new shaft and bearings in it and I am a day's work away from using
it again.

Peter Robinson
Camp Verde, Arizona