Re: grinding wheat in coffe grinder

Diane Brown <debunix@well.com>
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 04:16:58 -0600
v104.n050.1
>This is probably a silly question -- but has anyone ever used their coffee
>mill to grind wheat?  I'd like to try grinding some coarse whole wheat
>(like we use to get in Kansas in the '50s) but I don't want to buy a grain
>mill until I know I'm going to do it regularly.  What do you all think?  Thanks

When my beloved mill was out for service, I once used a poppy-seed grinder
to grind some wheat flour.  The grinder has a sort of threaded screw that
mashed the seeds--or grain--against the sides.  It was manual.  I don't
know if any coffee grinders resemble that, but it was sturdy enough to do
the job, albeit painfully slow.  I'd never have kept up with it if I
started that way.

I don't drink coffee so have never had one of those little electric
grinders to know if they could work.

Diane Brown in St. Louis
http://www.well.com/user/debunix