Fluffy Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

Harry Glass <hglass@yahoo.com>
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
v104.n048.3
Here it is, Rose.  The cracked wheat and the wheat germ are in the recipe
mainly to keep the slices from rising too high to fit into a Rubbermaid
sandwich container. I could have accomplished some of that by omitting the
tbsp of wheat gluten, but I kept that because it adds protein.  You can
omit the cracked wheat and the wheat germ but you'll need to watch the
kneading and adjust the wet/dry ratio accordingly. The recipe was developed
for a bread machine.

Honey Whole & Cracked Wheat Bread

     -- Wet Ingredients + Salt --
11 oz     water (1 1/4 cups minus 1 tbsp)
3 tbsp    honey (or less)
1 tbsp    canola, extra light olive oil or other oil
1/2 cup   water for cracked wheat
1/4 cup   cracked wheat cereal, Hodgson Mill
1/2 tsp   salt (or more to taste)

     -- Dry Ingredients --
3 3/4 cup K.A Traditional Whole Wheat Flour(1/5 of 5 lb bag)
1/4 cup   wheat germ, Kretschmer
1 tbsp    potato flour
1 tbsp    lecithin, granules
1 tbsp    buttermilk blend, Saco, dry
1 tbsp    vital wheat gluten
1/4 tsp   malt powder, diastatic -- optional
1 tsp     yeast, SAF instant

Developed for the Breadman Ultimate bread machine, whole wheat, 1.5 lb
loaf, light crust setting.

Put the cracked wheat cereal in 1/2 cup boiling water, cook, and set aside
to cool.

Put wet ingredients, moistened cracked wheat cereal, and salt in the bread
pan first.

Flour quantity is 1 lb.  3 3/4 cups is approximate equivalent.

Some of the unusual ingredients (e.g., the potato flour) are to help the
loaf retain moisture, and extend shelf life.  Others, such as the Saco dry
buttermilk blend, add acidity to help the yeast.  Notice that very little
instant yeast is needed ­ much less than what's in most recipes.

Harry