Re: cinnamon-raisin loaf split

Diane Purkiss <purkiss@purkiss.demon.co.uk>
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:25:10 +0100
v104.n046.6
>... on a cross-section, the dough was tightly wound until the top, where
>it had come apart, leaving a gaping hole.

Probably lots of people will reply to this; what happened to your bread is
called 'shelling'.  I make a raisin loaf with a cinnamon spiral that
sometimes does this, and very occasionally all shaped loaves do it -
batards, for example.  Here's what I've found reduces the risk; nothing
guarantees that it won't happen.

Spread the dough with egg instead of butter before adding the filling. I
worked this out and then found it in Rose's Bread Bible as well!!  I was
really pleased to have duplicated the thoughts of a master.

Give the dough a long, cold rest in the refrigerator before shaping.

Proof timing is crucial.  It seems to shell more if there's huge
ovenspring, or none.  I tried extending my proofing time for about ten
minutes each time I baked until I hit a time that seemed to leave the bread
with some spring but not a huge amount.

A lower-than-usual oven - again, this affects spring.  I've also had better
results in a cooling oven than a rising oven, but my sister-in- law says
the opposite.

Hope this helps,
Diane Purkiss