RE: Rose's bread epiphany and WP article

Roxanne Rieske <rokzane@comcast.net>
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:09:17 -0600
v104.n046.3
I have to concur here that fresh ground whole wheat flour makes the best
100% whole wheat loaf. I stay away from the stuff in the grocery store and
instead order mine direct from King Arthur (since I don't have the space in
my little condo to store bags of wheat berries), but I call Customer
Service when I'm ordering and ask for the freshest stuff possible. One
shipment I got was less than a week old.

I also make mine with my sourdough starter, and a lot of it too. Up to 25%
if I've got it. I also add vital wheat gluten PLUS active malt powder.I add
enough water to it all to make a good hydrated dough, give it a thorough
mixing and then let it sit in the fridge for at least 12 hours. The result
has been by far the best whole wheat bread I've ever had in my entire life.

Roxanne Rieske (Rokzane)
rokzane@comcast.net
www.rokzane.bravejournal.com