New Machine

"Joy Alexander" <jpalexand@msn.com>
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:55:32 -0400
v104.n040.12
This is in response to Margaret Miller's post regarding her new machine.

Margaret, I've had a Breadman Ultimate for three years and simply love
it!  The only time I have ever had a flop was when I first got the machine
and tried to make a loaf of bread by a recipe which didn't list salt and I
grossly overestimated the amount to use.  I make one to two loaves each
week and my bread always turns out great.  I have never weighed my
ingredients. I merely stir my flour, sprinkle it into a measuring cup
designed for dry ingredients and swipe it with a straight edge.  For the
liquid ingredients, I use a measuring cup designed specifically for
liquids.  I try to be exact in my measurements but not to the point of
weighing the ingredients.  I want my bread baking to be fun. It takes 3
hours 5 minutes to make a loaf of white bread; however, it only takes 2
hours 5 minutes using the rapid setting, which I've never done.  If your
machine is like mine, you must mash the "select" button twice for each
setting.  The first is for the normal setting, the second is for the rapid
setting.  I turn my machine on and after about ten to fifteen minutes,
check the consistency of the dough and, if necessary, using a plastic
spatula, clean off any dough that has clung to the sides of the pan. By
then it should have formed a relatively smooth ball which should be tacky
to the touch.  You should also be able to just look at the dough and tell
if it's too dry or too wet.  If it's too wet, it will be clinging to the
bottom of the paddle and kind of smearing on the bottom of the pan; if it's
too dry, it will be very shaggy.

This is a recipe from the booklet which came with my machine, "Healthy
Bread Recipes & Menu Planner."  This bread rises beautifully and is great
for sandwiches and toast.

Light Whole Wheat Bread
(Add all ingredients to bread pan in order given)
Makes a 1 1/2 lb. loaf

1 1/4 cups warm water (70-80 F)
1     tablespoon vegetable oil
2     tablespoons honey
1/2   teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1     cup bread flour
1/4   cup gluten
1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast

Of all the recipes that I've collected, I seem to make the same three or
four most of the time.  If you would like some additional recipes, write to
me direct and I'll be glad to send them to you. Good luck with your new
machine.  I hope you'll learn to love yours as much as I love mine.

Joy