Bavarian pretzels

"Andreas Wagner" <Andreas.Wagner@wanadoo.fr>
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 09:26:18 +0200
v104.n040.7
Hi Gloria

I know what you mean - there's nothing like a pretzel that's crunchy on the
outside and soft inside, and it's one of the very few thinks I miss in the
South of France.  I grew up in Bavaria, and the bakers in our village
varied greatly in their ability to produce the perfect item.  There was
one, whose pretzels were just heaven.  The end result seemed to depend on
the lye solution, which was a very closely guarded secret.  I've found a
good recipe on the internet at <http://www.cs.uml.edu/~dm/brezla-2/>, but
have never yet achieved the crunchy crust.  I wonder if it's something to
do with oven temperature, a little along the lines of the French bakers
baking at lower temperatures to get a crunch baguette?  Some people
advocate dropping the pretzels into a boiling lye solution, but I don't
think that the Bavarian method is that, you'd never get the cracked crust
from the oven spring that way.  If you do find out how to make the pretzels
crunchy please let me know.

Best wishes,
Andreas
For great holiday accommodation in the south of France visit our website at
http://www.midihideaways.com