Re: storage of bread

"Anita" <anita@ncwebsurfer.com>
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:57:27 -0700
v104.n040.1
Holly wrote re: the storage of bread:
"Unfortunately there are times when we don't go through it quickly enough
and it turns in to a bread brick sometime as quickly as 3 or 4 days.  I
usually make bread crumbs with it at that point."

Well now, aren't we the lucky ones.  Stale bread, our stale gourmet bread,
makes the BEST gourmet croutons in the entire world.  It adds a little
crunch and variety to your salads.  Of course, if the bread is made
entirely from hi gluten flour, they will be a little hard.  (my shelties do
cartwheels for one!)

I usually cut them into 1/2 inch squares before you need a cleaver to do
it. Store them in the freezer or a paper bag and when you have enough to
turn on the oven, put them into a plastic bag, spray with a little water,
sprinkle with some olive oil (about 1 T per cup bread cubes), garlic
powder, onion powder, salt, optional herbs, shake them up and put them on a
jelly roll or similar pan.  Bake at 250 for about 30min, turning half way
through.  Let cool and store in glass jars.  The bread crumbs left over
from this makes the best coating for chops & fish.  Really crunchy and
tasty too. As to the storage of fresh bread, I would tend to freeze some
part of it (in our hot, dry No. Calif. summers). In the winter, the cooler
keeps it pretty well, wrapped in a paper bag or two in a bread box.  More
than one loaf or rolls usually get frozen after the second day.

Hope this helps.
Anita Flanigan