Re: bricks for bread

Diane Brown <debunix@well.com>
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:13:58 -0500
v104.n037.6
I'm surprised to hear about Marksmar's trouble with bricks in a set from
King Arthur Flour.  I've never had trouble with them when I returned
things.  But I wasn't trying to get replacement parts from them.

I bought a set of bricks years ago by the name of "bread from the hearth"
or something like that.  A metal sheet holds the thin bricks. I loved it so
much I bought another full set--so I can line both shelves of my oven at
the same time.  Some bricks cracked, and I eventually ordered some extras
from the maker, but after all the replacement bricks have had their
accidents too, I've realized that the occasional crack is not a problem, as
long as the baking surface remains level and smooth.

I've broken bricks by dropping once or twice (those weren't usable again)
but most have cracked if I got too enthusiastic with adding water for steam
to preheated oven....

Diane Brown in St. Louis