Curvy lame

Haack Carolyn <haacknjack@sbcglobal.net>
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:24:22 -0700 (PDT)
v104.n029.3
I do have the utensil, and yes the blade is curved and held that way by the
handle.  I have used single straight-razor blades over time too, the lame
seems to do a nice job of cutting UNDER the top crust, which I have read is
the key to a nice, wide spread (rather than cutting deep into the loaf).  I
sometimes could achieve the "under" cut with the razor blade, but between
the curve and the handle on the lame, I have found it much more
reliable.  My own priorities are:  keen sharpness (achievable with knife or
thin blade), short length of sharp portion (to avoid slicing the pan, or
ruining the blade and/or pan by doing so), and comparative rust-proof-ness
(it seems that all the blades rust eventually, hence the refills -- unless
you slice the pan regularly, I don't think bread dough would ever wear out
either the lame or the razor blade!).  The other thing that keeps me sane
is ... looks aren't EVERYTHING unless you're commercial.  If the bread's
good, a little hanging poing won't last long anyway.  Keep smiling!