Re: neglected starter

Lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Thu, 06 May 2004 23:12:39 -0600
v104.n022.7
 >From: "Russell J. Fletcher" <acoder@xprt.net>
 >snip
 >.... I figured my starter would dry up, mold, or otherwise get funky.

it's only flour and water ....

 >snip
 >Is there a way to cost effectively save starter if you only use it once
 >every few months? What are the danger signs that you need to toss your
 >starter and begin again?

Sometimes I don't use mine for several months.  It's never gotten pink or
green (but the hooch does get gray... I pour it off, but some people stir
it in).  I'd probably pitch it if it were fuzzy.  Just keep it tightly
covered in the frig.  But you can dry it ... spread it on wax paper, put
that on a rack and let it dry til it looks like soda cracker crumbs. Keep
it in a jar until you want to reconstitute it.

Lobo