8 strand challah

FREDERICKA COHEN <cohenfs@prodigy.net>
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 05:23:28 -0800 (PST)
v104.n016.3
These are the Leigh Davisson instructions for an 8 strand challah.

Use a recipe that would  make two loaves of bread. Leigh uses "white
sandwich bread" from Crust and Crumb by Peter Reinhardt.

Roll dough into 8 strands. Each one is usually 18 to 24 inches long. Make
sure they are all pretty close in length and thickness.If bread resists,
let it sit and come back to that piece.

** Fredericka's note:I used a 5 cup recipe and made my strands 16 to 18 inch.

Place all 8 pieces roughly parallel and attach all at one end by pressing
them together. Gently push them apart so that you have four strands on each
side.

Now begin braiding. Start with the piece on the far left, carry it over the
three strands next to it, and put it in the center next to the four strands
that are on the right of it.

Do the same with the strand farthest on the right, crossing over the three
strands next to it AND the one you have just brought over from the left.
Place it next to the three remaining strands that are on the left.

** Fredericka's note: You are crossing three from the left and four from
the right.

Repeat from left and right until you run out of strands to braid.Pinch the
ends together  and tuck them under the end of the loaf.  Adjust the loaf so
width is roughly the same. Place on parchment paper to rise. Spray with
cooking spray and cover loosely with plastic wrap.

** Fredericka's note: I braid directly on the parchment as it makes it
easier to slide it into oven. I use a good size piece of paper and tape the
ends to the table to prevent sliding.  I do a first egg wash instead of
spray  and cover with a $2.98 plastic sweater box I use as a proofing box.

You will find it surprisingly easy. Just make sure the ends are tucked
underneath.

** Fredericka's note: It is "surprisingly easy", believe me. I practiced a
4 strand with one inch upholstery cord for two weeks before I got that.  I
never got close to the "legs down, arms up"  of the 6 strand.

It makes a stunning presentation.

Thanks again, Leigh (and Bob who played detective in North Carolina!)