Putting the sour in La Brea sourdough

"Daren Hansen" <dhansen@jjkeller.com>
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:43:18 -0600
v104.n016.1
I've been making Nancy Silverton's basic white sourdough bread from her
"Breads from the La Brea Bakery" book. I've had the sourdough starter for
about 2 years and have made the bread multiple times, with great success.
However, only once, by chance, has it come out tasting "sour," a taste
which I enjoy. Does anyone have a suggestion for encouraging/enhancing the
natural sourness?  Before mixing, I remove the starter from the
refrigerator and feed it for about 36-48 hours (feedings are 4-8 hours
apart). The mixed dough then sits at room temperature to double in bulk
before shaping. Once in the baskets, it rises for about 1 hour before going
into the refrigerator or cool garage for 18-24 hours. Then it sits out for
4 hours before baking.  Any suggestions?

Daren