Apple Butter Muffins

Fri, 05 Mar 2004 19:10:47 -0800
v104.n013.15
  From my friend Reid ...

                       *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                    Apple Butter Muffins (3.96 Ww Points)

Recipe By     : (Jenni Miller miller@micro.ti.com )
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List        Bread/Muffins/Rolls
                  Fruits                           Hand Made
                  Low Fat                          Weight Watchers

     2      Cups          flour
       3/4  Cup           brown sugar
     1 1/2  Teaspoons     baking powder
       1/4  Teaspoon      baking soda
       1/2  Teaspoon      salt
     1      Teaspoon      cinnamon
       1/2  Teaspoon      ginger
       3/4  Cup           apple butter
       1/2  Cup           applesauce
       1/4  Cup           skim milk
     2                    eggs -- lightly beaten
     3      Tablespoons   honey
     1      Teaspoon      vanilla
       1/2  Cup           raisins -- optional

Preheat oven to 400F.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (the first 7 ingredients) and make
a well in the center.

In smaller bowl, combine wet ingredients (the next 6 ingredients).

Pour wet mixture into the "well" of the dry ingredients and stir just to
combine (10-15 strokes).  Fold in raisins with as few strokes as possible.

Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups (if you don't use muffin liners, spray the
pan with cooking spray).

Bake 20-25 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean.  Remove muffin tin
to cooling rack and cool 5 mins. before removing muffins from tin. (Do
*not* let muffins cool completely in the tin.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items):
204 Calories; 1g Fat (4.3% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 46g
Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 31mg Cholesterol; 193mg Sodium.  Exchanges:
1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 1 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.

NOTES : This recipe is a real crowd-pleaser, fills the house with a
delicious aroma, and is a great autumn treat.  I successfully changed the
original half-cup of butter to a half-cup of applesauce to lower the
fat.  I have no idea what the exact fat count is, but the only "evil"
ingredient is the eggs; you may be able to decrease the fat further by
using egg beaters instead of eggs, but I've never been that daring. (I've
wasted a lot of ingredients by unsuccessfully trying to make a recipe
fat-free, so I'm a little wary about it.) If anyone is successful with the
egg beaters (or another substitute), please let me know!

P.S.  This is a very versatile recipe. I've made it with pumpkin butter,
and it was yummy. I've made it with nuts, but of course, that raises the
fat.  A friend made it with apricots (dried, I assume?) and that was very
good.  I wonder how chopped dates would be?