Buttermilk Honey Bread

"Paul and Ruth Provance" <prmtprovance@erols.com>
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 19:12:51 -0500
v104.n009.7
Thought I would share this one with you!

Ruth

* Exported from MasterCook *

                    Ruth's Buttermilk Honey Wheat Bread

Recipe By     : Ruth Provance
Categories    : Breads: Yeast

   1 1/2           cups  buttermilk
      1/2           cup  water
      1/4           cup  unsalted butter
      1/4           cup  honey
   3               cups  whole wheat flour
   1         Tablespoon  salt
   1         Tablespoon  diastatic malt powder
   2 1/4      teaspoons  active dry yeast -- one package
   3 1/2           cups  unbleached flour -- approximately

Warm buttermilk, water, butter and honey together until butter is almost
melted.  Combine whole wheat flour, salt, malt powder, yeast, and one cup
of unbleached flour in mixing bowl.

Add warmed liquids to flour mixture and beat until well combined. Add
remaining unbleached flour gradually until a soft, slightly tacky dough is
formed.  Some of this flour may be added during kneading. Place dough in
bowl sprayed with olive oil cooking spray, spray top of dough, cover, and
place in warm place to rise until doubled, approximately one hour.

Punch dough down, form into loaves and place in 8 x 4 inch loaf pans.  Let
rise until doubled, or the dough has risen above the edge of the pan.

Bake at 350 F for approximately 40 minutes or until light golden brown and
loaf sounds hollow when tapped.  Temperature of the bread should be about
190 F on an instant-read thermometer.

Turn out of pans and place on wire racks to cool.  Brush hot loaves with
butter, if desired.

Source:
   "The buttermilk in the refrigerator"
Copyright:
   "2004, Ruth Provance"
Yield:
   "2 loaves"

                                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 108 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (14% calories from fat); 3g
Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 4mg Cholesterol; 213mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2
Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : One day (January 27, 2004, to be precise), I had some buttermilk in
the refrigerator that I needed to use, and just a bit of whole wheat
flour.  We also found ourselves running low on bread, so, even though it
was the middle of the week, I decided to bake bread.  I had a meatloaf
already in the oven.  If I had been planning better, I might have mixed the
dough first, and then put the meatloaf together.  I actually wrote down the
ingredients of this bread as I was making it, in hopes that it would turn
out well, and I could share the recipe with friends.