Re: Madeira Honey Cake recipe

"J. Mathew" <joanm2001@earthlink.net>
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 06:30:36 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
v104.n009.3
I googled for this recipe and came up with quite a few that listed either
extremely large quantities (commercial quantities, no doubt) or gave the
measurements in weights, or metric, etc.  Here is one recipe from the
search result that looks pretty good, but please note I have not tried it
yet!  I'll probably give it a try later today when I make some baked
goodies for my coworkers to begin the work week.

Enjoy,
Joan

Honey Cake
  Reid's Hotel, Madeira
Gourmet December 1993

"A teatime favorite."

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup currants
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup finely chopped candied orange rind
1/4 cup finely ground blanched almonds
1/4 cup finely ground walnuts
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground aniseed
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
2 extra-large eggs
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup Lyle's Golden Syrup or honey
3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 F. and grease and flour a loaf pan, 9-by-5-by-3
inches.  In a bowl toss together 1/2 cup of the flour, the currants,
raisins, candied orange rind, almonds, and walnuts. Onto a sheet of wax
paper sift together twice the remaining 2 1/2 cups flour, baking soda,
baking powder, cinnamon, aniseed, and cloves.

In another bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter for 5 minutes, add
the sugar and the grated zests, and beat the mixture for 3 minutes, or
until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, add the molasses and
the Golden Syrup or honey, and beat the mixture until it is combined well.
Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk in batches, beginning and
ending with flour mixture and beating the batter after each addition until
it is just combined, and fold in the dried fruit mixture. Spoon the batter
into the pan, spread it evenly, and bake the cake in the middle of the oven
for 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until it is golden brown and a tester comes
out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, turn it
out onto the rack, and let it cool completely.