Re: rye bread

fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:29:26 -0500
v104.n008.20
In Digest bread-bakers.v104.n007:
>From: "silky" <silky@psln.com>
>Subject: Polish sour rye
>
>After several years break from bread baking (health and family) I am back
>at it and trying not to go off in every direction that beckons at
>once.  My main focus at this time is learning to make the real 100% rye
>sourdough bread as the Eastern Europeans make.  I have not been able to
>find a recipe that isn't Americanized with a lot of white flour.  I'm not
>familiar with rye so I have no idea what proportions work.  Can anyone
>help with a recipe or pointers?

A year or two ago thre was a series of postings in this list on the subject
of "Jewish corn bread", which culminated in a couple of people posting what
appears to be basically the same recipe. I've been working with that recipe
ever since and have found that I can make a WONDERFUL rye bread with it,
all it takes is a little persistence and attention to detail.

I urge you to look at the list archives, or if you want I can email you the
recipe along with my notes on how I make it.

[Editor's note: We've written to Fred asking him to send the recipe and
notes to the list.]

I'd been struggling for years to figure out how to make a truly good loaf
of rye. Not having had any old family recipes to start from,  nor having
found any other recipes with that kind of detail, I never got anything that
was more than just marginally edible (well, edible but never particularly
good).

>I have been told that I won't be able to make this type of bread because
>so many of the variables are different here.  I would like to understand
>the theory so I can choose ingredients that will come as close as
>possible.  I was also told that a wood-fired oven is critical.  If this is
>true, how?  Is it really the brick lining?  I grew up with a wood stove
>and unless you have a good supply of the right wood, a wood stove will not
>give as even a heat as a newer oven.

Dunno, I make mine in our ordinary kitchen oven. it starts out HOT with a
pan of water, the bread is coated with a cornstarch glaze before baking and
again after 15 minutes. It comes out with a dark brown, hard, shiny crust
that is a beautiful sight to behold!

>Wheat flour can have different protein levels, does rye flour vary the
>same way?  There doesn't seem to be much rye flour available so I hope it
>doesn't matter too much.

This recipe is roughly half rye and half white. Though the recipe doesn't
specify this, I use "first clear" instead of white. I get it from King
Arthur's online web store. (when I have the first clear,... if I run out I
use their unbleached all purpose and in fact it works approximately as well).

---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us