Re: Digest bread-bakers.v104.n005

RosesCakeBible@aol.com
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:58:55 EST
v104.n006.5
>That question was abruptly answered when I had some rather serious surgery
>a week before Christmas.  I came home on Christmas Eve.  It was slow going
>at first, but Doctors Rose and Peter were there to keep me company.  I'm
>well on the road to recovery now and I owe Rose and Peter for helping me
>along that road.  Reading these books was just like being in the kitchen
>with them.  Thank you.
>
>Bob the Tarheel Baker

bob--you are the best! it's heart-warming to think of us keeping you
company during your recovery. and thrilling to think that someone as
knowledgeable as you is still open to learning more!

i know peter already posted our smithsonian event but i have to add that i
hope those of you in the d.c. area will come--i'm enormously looking
forward to doing this presentation with peter. i'm a long-time fan of his
work and of him!

by the way, isn't it an extra pleasure to turn on the oven during this
incredible cold spell?!

warmest wishes,
rose

>From: Cheryl  <toughred@interaccess.com>
>Subject: Disposable Pan/Oven Temp Correction
>Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:10:56 -0600
>
>In my last post I cited Rose Levy Beranbaum for saying oven temp should be
>reduced by one-third when using loaf pans smaller than 9 x 5.  I want to
>sincerely apologize.  The information was read in the Williams-Sonoma
>Muffins book.  It's wacky advice, I didn't use it and I bet most of you
>don't care, but I just wanted to set the record straight.

thanks for setting the record straight cheryl--what a relief! my first
thought was senilty and it took a full week before i dared respond because
i thought "what if i actually wrote that somewhere for some reason i can no
longer fathom!" but the more i thought about it the less likely it
seemed--if anything, when baking larger things it would probably be better
to lower the temperature for more even penetration to the center before the
surface gets over-baked.

whew!
rose

>From: Carolyn Dandalides <kitchen_artist@yahoo.com>
>Subject: bread storage
>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:39:12 -0800 (PST)
>
>Surprisingly, I've never seen this in print in a book or anywhere else,
>but a glass cake dome is a splendid place to store bread. (Or muffins,
>quick breads, tea loaves, cupcakes, rolls, buns, and yes, cakes.)  It is
>certainly more friendly to the environment than using either paper or
>plastic bags, since, with care, it is infinitely reusable.  Since it is
>not completely airtight, condensation is not an issue, and crusts hold
>fairly close to their original condition.  (A small glass dome, typically
>used for cheese, is the right size for a few muffins or rolls, or a
>miniature loaf of bread.) In addition, it is more attractive to display
>baked goods under glass as edible kitchen art!
>Happy baking,
>Carolyn

i'd like to add that i've been using my plastic "proof box" from king
arthur to store the baked bread.  if i've cut into the bread, i stand it on
the cut end first. for muffins or cakes i use a glass souffle dish or
cheese dome as the top is closer to the top of the cake--keeping it from
drying out.

best,
rose (levy beranbaum)