Splenda, Diabetes and Bread...

lfc@juno.com
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 21:09:50 -0600
v103.n052.5
I tried using Splenda in bread, and I know that is supposedly not necessary
to have sugar in bread, but I like the results better with a little.  After
testing out a lot of different sweetners and discussing diabetes with my
diabetic brother chemist who tests these things out on his body and blood
sugar... we found that fructose based sweetners do not raise his blood
sugar very significantly.  White flour and corn flour do raise the glycemic
level.  So, I use whole wheat flour (all whole wheat with the Laurel's
Kitchen Bread Book 'Loaf for Learning' recipe) and use agave syrup
(fructose-based) or granulated fructose (just like sugar).

Hope it helps.

Linda

BTW... Mike... thank you for encouraging me to use the Loaf for Learning
recipe.... I've been making good bread successfully and repeatedly for a
while now.  It's great.