re: more on flax seed

Lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Mon, 08 Dec 2003 10:03:33 -0700
v103.n052.2
One other thing about flax seed ... it absorbs moisture.  When using it
whole in a recipe, the directions generally say to soak it for a
while.  The recipe takes into account the moisture getting sucked up by
adding additional liquid.  So if you add it to a recipe that doesn't call
for it, take this into account.  I don't know if it does this when it's ground.

Interesting aside:  my 91 year old aunt told me they used to use the liquid
from soaking flax seed as hair gel in the "old days."  When you soak flax
seed in water, the result is a slimy sticky mass.  I should've asked her
how they separated the seeds from the slime ... maybe it would go through a
sieve if you pressed it through.

Lobo