Stout and Oat Bread - a question for Randy.

Nifcon@aol.com
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 08:06:30 EST
v103.n048.4
Randy Clemens wrote:
>This is a formula I've been meaning to try forever, simply because I love
>Murphy's Irish Stout so much. If you give it a try, please tell me how it
>is. This is from Collister & Blake's "Country Breads of the World" and is
>courtesy of Maurice Chaplais from "The Flour Bag" in Glouchestershire, England.

You've been meaning to try this bread "forever" so, the obvious question is
"Why haven't you made it?". A person less polite than myself might say "If
you haven't got round to making the bread, what makes you think anyone on
the list will do so?"

That paragraph does not read very helpfully but I have to admit that, when
I read a message containing a recipe or formula for a bread that the author
of the post has merely repeated without testing, I'm not normally inclined
to make it unless it is particularly interesting or strikes some chord in me.

There are, literally, MILLIONS of  bread recipes on the web, and in books,
most Ho-Hum, some actively unpleasant, some designed to confuse, some that
are downright crap and a few, a very small proportion, that are excellent,
innovative, delicious or all three. The only way to find out which category
a bread inhabits is to make it. Something I'd be much more inclined to do
with your posted recipe if you had made the bread yourself and found it
worthwhile. As it is, it just sits in my Email waiting to be tried but odds
are long it never will be.

John

p.s. The "problem" of untested recipes posted to cooking list is one over
which list members wrangle, endlessly.