Oat Bread or anything else

Steve Hayden <steve.hayden@wright.edu>
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:10:39 -0400
v103.n046.4
Thomas,

This is a basic recipe for a 1 1/2 pound loaf ( 3 cups of flour ) for an
ABM. If you do not like sweet bread cut back on the sugar. If you want a
softer loaf use milk or butter milk plus 2 tablespoons water in place of
the water.

1 Cup water, milk, or buttermilk + 2 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon oil, nut oil, butter, or olive oil (what ever goes with the
bread you are making)
3 Tablespoons honey, sugar, or molasses ( as little as 1 Tablespoon for
less sweet bread )
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 Cups bread flour
1 Cup bread flour, oats, rye flour, corn meal, corn flour, or ...
2 teaspoons yeast

Add flour or water to adjust for the correct moisture content. I touch the
dough with my finger just after the ball is formed. If just a little sticks
to my finger that is just right. Your machine will be different. So,  touch
the dough, bake the bread, look at the results and decide if it should have
been wetter ( you made a hock puck ) or dryer ( the bread rose to the top
of the machine then fell during the bake cycle ).

Note about oats:
Oats take a little longer to soak up the moisture, so if your oat bread
looks too wet, wait five minutes before adjusting the moisture.

Good luck,
Steve Hayden