Re: refreshing sourdough starters

Alan Jackson <ajackson@oplnk.net>
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:12:27 -0500
v103.n046.2
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:59:02 -0500
<Njretired@copper.net> wrote:

>About a year and a half ago, someone (I looked in the archives and think I
>found that it was Alan Jackson) mentioned that they had been using the
>same starter for almost 8 years.  He described that he only refreshed it
>every 1-2 weeks or so, and that it had never failed to work for him.

Every 2 weeks I take one cup of starter out, mix it with 7/8 cup distilled
water and 1 cup all purpose flour, let it sit out for about 12 hours, and
then add it back to my refrigerated stock. Pretty simple.

To start it originally I took 2 cups water, and 2 cups flour, mixed them,
set it outside for a few hours, brought it in and let it sit for about 2
days. Weekly feedings settled it down in a month or so. Used the extra to
make pancakes.

Take a look at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/food/sourdough/faq/ it is quite
good. They suggest doing it a bit differently - they are probably right! 8-

http://faqs.jmas.co.jp/FAQs/food/sourdough/starters is the one I used, not
having read it for years, I just learned a few things. I probably need to
refresh mine, it's getting a bit old...

| Alan K. Jackson            | To see a World in a Grain of Sand      |
| alan@ajackson.org          | And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,         |
| www.ajackson.org           | Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand |
| Houston, Texas             | And Eternity in an hour. - Blake       |