High protein, low carb (relatively) bread

Corinaesq@aol.com
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:46:00 EDT
v103.n043.2
I've been lurking on the list for a while, thinking that surely someone
else would be asking about recipes for high protein and relatively low
carbohydrate bread, as the Atkins and South Beach diets are so popular
now.  I have developed a pretty good recipe for a German-type peasant
sourdough whole grain bread, but my assumptions about serving size still
give me a bread with 14 grams of carbohydrate and 2 grams of fiber per
slice (I assume 24 slices out of a loaf made from 3 3/4 cups of flours or
grains).  I'd like to increase the grams of fiber per slice, but not have a
doorstop of a loaf of bread.  Any suggestions?

By the way, if anyone is interested in my recipe, email me and I'll send it
to you (if I can import easily from MasterCook, which I haven't tried before).

Corina

[[ Editor's note: we asked Corina to send the recipe to bread-bakers for
the next issue. ]]