Re: deep dish pizza

"Mark Piper" <mpiper@fcb.com>
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:15:50 -0500
v103.n042.11
I've been making deep dish pizza for a number of years, and while it is
consistently very good,
there have been times when the crust has been spectacular, and by that I
mean light and very crunchy.

My recipe is a short dough:

5 1/2 cups unbleached flour
2 packets yeast
4 tbs. olive oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups water
1/2 cup yellow corn meal

I've had success with and without a stone.  My oven is always sufficiently
pre heated to 475 F.  Should I have less water in my dough mixture?  Also
can over kneading cause it to be too chewy by bringing out too much
gluten?  What if any rules are there for ensuring a consistently crunch
crust?  I'm aware of the need to adjust water to flour ratio depending on
humidity.

Thanks
a Chicago deep dish guy