Re: pan dulce & pastrywiz

Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 08:39:53 -0700
v103.n042.5
>I have been searching far and wide for a source of information regarding
>Mexican sweet bread (pan dulce) (snip). If anyone knows of any good
>sources of information regarding this style of bread, please let me know.
>I also have been looking for the hand tool they use to imprint the topping
>on conchas. Can anyone help? Thanks!
>
>- Randy Clemens - Los Angeles, CA

I have neighbors who make many types of pan dulce.  When they make a design
on top they use the tip of a sharp knife.

I gave one of my neighbors, Mrs. Obregon, one of the Kaiser roll stampers
from King Arthur a couple of years ago and she is thrilled with it.

If you go to this site, you will see that they also note that one can cut a
design in the shape of a sea shell with a knife.  See the recipe below.

http://www.pastrywiz.com/dailyrecipes/recipes/576.htm

By the way, I have subscribed to Pastrywiz for a long time and have
received some interesting recipes in their emails.

They also have a great selection of supplies for people who might be called
upon to bake a cake for a special occasion (in addition to the breads of
daily fare).  I buy the round white cake boards for my gift breads, fruit
cakes, etc.  makes a neater package and an surface on which to cut the
bread for those giftees who might not own a cutting board.

Andie Paysinger & the PENDRAGON Basenjis
asenji@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~asenji/

                       *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                                  Pan Dulce

Recipe By     : http://www.pastrywiz.com/dailyrecipes/recipes/576.htm
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List        Breads
                  Ethnic                           Mexican

     3      C             All-Purpose Flour -- To 3 1/2 C
       1/3  C             Sugar
     2 1/4  Tsp           Flieschmann's Rapidrise Yeast -- Or
                          (1/4 Oz Or 1 Envelope)
     1      Ts            Salt
       1/2  C             Water
       1/4  C             Milk
       1/4  C             Butter Or Margarine
     1      Lg            Egg
                          Cocoa Topping:
       1/2  C             Butter Or Margarine
       3/4  C             Powdered Sugar
       3/4  C             All-Purpose Flour
     2      Tbsp          Cocoa Powder
     1      Tsp           Ground Cinnamon
     1      Tsp           Vanilla Extract

Cocoa Topping:
In medium bowl, cut 1/2 cup butter or margarine into 3/4 cup powdered sugar
and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour with pastry blender until crumbly. Stir in 2
tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon
vanilla extract. Shape into a log. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.

Dough:
In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt.
Heat water, milk, and butter until very warm (120 to 130 F). Gradually add
to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer,
scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at
high speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on
lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Cover; let rest 10 minutes.

Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; shape into smooth balls. Place balls on
greased baking sheet. Flatten each ball slightly.

Divide Cocoa Topping into 12 equal portions; flatten each portion to
2-1/2-inch round. Place 1 round on each dough ball. With sharp knife, make
cuts 1/4-inch deep, on rolls to resemble seashells. Cover; let rise in
warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes or until done.

Nutrition Information Per Serving: Serving size : 1 roll (91 g) Calories :
320, Total fat : 13 g, Saturated fat : 8 g, Cholesterol : 50 mg, Sodium :
320 mg, Carbohydrates : 46 g, Dietary fiber : 2 g, Sugars : 13 g, Protein : 6 g

Source: Fleischmann's Yeast, a division of Burns Philp Food, Inc.

Yield: 12 rolls