Tibetan Barley Bread recipe

Cathy Sears <cjs1@post.queensu.ca>
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:46:47 -0400
v103.n040.2
This is the recipe from the Tassajara Bread Book by Edward Espe Brown
(Shambala Publications, Berkeley, 1970).

2 cups barley flour
4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup millet meal (or roasted sunflower or sesame seeds)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons corn oil
3 1/2 cups boiling water

Pan roast the barley flour in 1 tablespoon of sesame oil until darkened.

Mix flours with salt. Add oil, rubbing flour between hands until oily. Add
boiling water, using spoon to mix until dough begins to form, then mixing
with hands, keeping them cool by dipping in cold water. Mix until earlobe
(sic) consistency.

Knead until smooth. Place in oiled pans. Cut tops lengthwise. Proof 2-6
hours or overnight. Bake at 450F for 20 minutes on the middle shelf, then
400F for 40 minutes on the top shelf. Crust will be tough but inside tender.

I wasn't sure what size pans to use.  I've tried this once, using a half a
cup of roasted sesame seeds instead of the millet meal.  As I expected, the
bread did not rise at all and the texture was very dense and solid.  The
flavor was terrific though, I think mainly because of the roasted barley
flour.  Should I add some yeast to make the texture lighter, and if so how
much?

Thanks,

Cathy