RE: Mixing dough: another tall tale?

"Allen Cohn" <allen@cohnzone.com>
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 07:01:53 -0700
v103.n034.5
Concerning mixing...I suspect (and my next series of tests will explore)
whether the key to kneading is not the duration, but the technique. I
suspect that optimal gluten formation requires multiple sequences of brief
kneading, then resting the dough (30 minutes?).

The things that lead me on this path are:

* Both Peter Reinhart and Cook's Illustrated mentioned that gluten will
form from flour's two proteins as soon as water is added (no kneading
needed; the effect is called "autolyze"). (In Peter's demo he recommended
kneading as little as one can get away with.

* My bread machine makes markedly better loaf bread than I do...even with
exactly the same ingredients (and even when I only use the machine for
mixing and the first rising, baking the bread machine loaf in the oven).
This perplexed me greatly. Then I observed that the bread machine goes
through several cycles of mix & rest.

* I noticed that the rustic bread recipe from a King Arthur demo, as well
as Cook's Illustrated's ciabatta recipe use the multiple mix/rest technique.

Any comments from the group?

Allen