Re: slashing the bread

"Shauna S. Roberts" <ShaunaRoberts@nasw.org>
Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:02:00 -0500
v103.n030.2
Cindy HK wrote:

>Please comment on the best time to slash the bread and is it functionally
>necessary or is it for cosmectic reason?  I always have a fear of
>deflating the bread after slashing it.

Recipes generally call for slashing the bread right before it goes in the
oven. Yes, this does usually deflate the dough (at least when I do it).
I've tried slashing fast vs. slow, straight up and down vs. at a 45-degree
angle, and shallowly vs. deeply, and nothing seems to make a difference.

If this is not what's supposed to happen, I'd appreciate any hints for
keeping the bread nice and full.

--
Shauna S. Roberts
http://www.nasw.org/users/ShaunaRoberts/