RE: Challah

"Steven Leof" <sleof.sln25@london.edu>
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:52:09 +0100
v103.n028.6
Kyle

Thanks for your comments on the Bread Bakers list. I've been corresponding
with Maggie Glezer and look forward to her new book. In the interim I've
tried several of Maggie's recipes which are very good. But I just haven't
been able to achieve the softness I have been looking for. I live in the UK
and challah here is very soft. I use high quality flour from a small
specialty mill that is all organic. I can specify the protein level of the
flour I use but Maggie tells me that there is a difference between protein
quantity and quality. This is where I get confused. Is there a very precise
way to specify flour that takes into account whether it's hard or soft,
etc., the ash content and other factors?

Thanks
Regards

Steven Leof