To Mike about elasticity

lfc@juno.com
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 23:24:16 -0500
v103.n027.9
Mike wrote:
>Well, so many of you have responded to my question about 'elastic vs.
>crumbly bread' that I feel I must send out a collective thank you note.

Your responses can be edited into the following:
1. more water
2. use bread flour
3. knead enough
4. double raise the dough

I am currently trying all these as I make new bread.

Just a FYI that has worked for me.  I began adding more vital wheat gluten
to my mix.  I use all fresh ground whole wheat flour.  In a two loaf recipe
I use 3/4 cup of the gluten.  I also knead it a good long time, first in my
kitchenaid and then by hand.  I love to knead.  I used to think it was the
egg I added to my recipe that made it soft.  And I think it did.  But now I
use a milk, butter, ww flour, sweetner (I'm using agave nectar), salt and
gluten recipe and it is softer and tastier than ever.

I can't remember if I've posted my recipe, but ....

2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 stick butter
2 T agave (or honey)

Microwave or heat in pan until melted and warm.  Cool to room temp (baby
bottle warm to your wrist).  Pour in mixing bowl.

Add:

3 cups whole wheat flour
3 1/2 tsp. Yeast
3/4 cup vital wheat gluten  (don't try it without it)

Mix and let it proof the yeast for 5 or 10 minutes.  While it is proofing,
turn on oven to 200 F for 5 minutes to just warm it.  Turn off oven and
leave it closed.

Add:

1 1/2 tsp salt and more flour 1/2 cup at a time until it cleans the bowl
and is just a little sticky, but not gooey.

Knead at least 10 minutes until smooth and feels good!  I love this part.

Check oven to make sure it's comfortably warm.  Place covered bowl in oven
to rise doubled in bulk.
Remove.  Knead at least 5 minutes.  Divide in two and shape into
loaves.  Place in greased bread pans and
cover.  Back into warm oven to rise double or just over the edge of the
pan.  Don't let it rise too much.

Take out of oven and spray with oil.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Bake 40
minutes, more or less until brown on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped.

Rub butter on top of loaves, if desired.  Cut off the end and put some
all-fruit on it?mmmm!