Specialty flour in the UK

"Steven Leof" <sleof.sln25@london.edu>
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:55:46 +0100
v103.n026.9
For those of you baking in the UK, I'm curious as to what flour you are
using and how it performs. I've been purchasing flour from Shipton Mill for
some time and generally have been happy with it. Their range includes the
following: -

* French White Type 55, protein content 11-11.2% (milled exclusively from
French varieties of wheat)

* Untreated Organic White Flour No 4, protein content 11.8-12.2% (milled
from a blend of Canadian and English flour)

* Finest Bakers White Bread Flour, protein content 12.3% (milled
exclusively from wheat grown in the UK with a lower than usual ash content)

* Canadian Strong White Bread Flour, protein content 13.2%.

* Italian Ciabatta Flour, protein content 14% (has a more coarse texture
than usual white bread flours)

I tend to use No 4 for most recipes that call for bread flour and Ciabatta
Flour for those that call for high gluten flour. I've tried both No 4 and
Type 55 where recipes call for All purpose flour. Problem is that I can't
get my challah to be as soft as I would like it; I've baked at temperatures
ranging from 230-250C or 450-500F (although my oven can get up to 290C).
Does anyone have experience with flour from Shipton Mill? Am I correct in
my use of Type 55?

Thanks

Steven Leof