Re: Brotchen

Corinaesq@aol.com
Sun, 18 May 2003 16:47:15 EDT
v103.n025.4
Bruno Maj Michael asked about German brotchen.  You'll have to be a little
more specific about the brotchen.  There are so many different kinds!  If
you are talking about the Lauge brotchen, (a roll that tastes like a German
pretzel!), I posted a recipe a while back, which should be in the archives.
The secret is to dip the formed brotchen into a lye bath (yes, lye is the
stuff you clean drains with, but the kind of lye you use for this is food
grade).  If you can't find it, and this is the kind of brotchen you're
looking for, email me and I'll send you the recipe.