Glass vs Plastic

"Liz" <jerliz@attbi.com>
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:32:47 -0600
"In making my sourdough starter, all the recipes I've looked at tell me to
store it in a glass jar with the lid down tight.  I have a "ton" of plastic
jars in the 1/2 gal range that would be great for the amount I make.  Any
reason why I cannot use them?"

I like "gladware" type containers for my starter -- they come in lots of
different sizes and are "self burping" when too much gas develops.  I don't
recommend screwing the lid down tight on a glass jar with starter in it.
There needs to be some form of emergency gas release.  When I use glass
jars I cover with plastic wrap and leave the lid a little loose.

Liz