Italian Filone

Chuck Rossi <chuckr@usa.net>
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 21:17:46 -0800
v103.n016.15
Hello...

Does anyone know if Peter Reinhart has ever published a recipe and
technique for Italian Filone bread?  It's missing from Carol Field's
excellent Italian bread book (probably the only one she missed).  It's
mentioned in the Il Fornaio bread book, but I find the technique lacking
and the results aren't right.

As I understand Filone, it's a Pugliese style bread, but with a much more
delicate thin crust and a moister, chewy crumb.

The best example of Filone I've been able to find locally is the Il Fornaio
Filone.  It's very good and has a satisfying 'pull' on the crust without
having the flaccid feel of store bought soft "Italian" loafs.

Thanks...

Chuck R.