Whole wheat and low-sugar bread recipes???

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:10:59 -0700
v103.n015.9
lfc@juno.com wrote in bread-bakers.v103.n014.8:

 > My family just started on Sugar Buster's a few weeks back and
 > we're having great results, but I need a really great whole
 > wheat bread recipe without sugar or at least without much sugar.

Yeast doesn't need sugar.  It is perfectly capable of converting starches
and digesting them.

Sugar is also not needed to brown the crust of breads.  Or to help the
taste of most breads.

 > This is my latest trial and it was good tasting and textured
 > but it still didn't rise enough.

I have found that dough enhancers, such as gluten, are needed only when you
are using a bread machine.  Dough will rise if you give it time.  I don't
use it, and my breads rise just fine.  Even the 100% whole wheat flour ones.

A key issue to be careful of is the grind of the flour.  Graham flour and
other coarsely ground whole wheat flours are harder to work with than more
finely ground whole wheat flours.

Also, many times when bread does not rise after the first rising, the
problem is that it wasn't kneaded between rises.  My suggestion is don't
punch down the bread, deflate it gently.  Then knead it for a minute or so
before forming the loaf.  This exposes the yeast cells to fresh nutrients
and helps the rise.

If you are trying for whole grain breads, the two best cookbooks I've found
are "The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book" by Laurel Robertson. Her "Loaf for
Learning" will redefine for you what whole wheat can do. The other is
Beatrice Ojakangas' "Great Whole Grain Breads".  It is out of print, as far
as I know, but your local library can probably get you a copy, and it's
usually available at half.com.

Mike