Whey and Holiday Breads

"Jazzbell" <jazzbell@coralwave.com>
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 13:27:43 -0500
v103.n013.8
Leslie asked: Does anyone know if whey is too acidic to be used as all or
part of the liquid in bread?

Well, I am sure that there amny with more expertise than I have.

But I do use Whey in my bread when I have it left over from clarifying
butter, and I think bread is a good use for it.  I do not hink that it
harms the bread in anyway.  I would think that this would be no different
than making buttermilk bread.  Plus the cidity could be cut down by adding
baking soda, no?

Holiday Breads:

I like to make Hot Cross Buns every year.  I use a simple sweet dough from
the New Double Day Cookbook, but the only spice I use is all-spice--it's
has the flavor of all-spice, and reduces all those brown ingredients that
play tricks on the yeast.I use currants and citron, and that's it.

I also make Chelsea Buns, which I suppose I could make anytime, but always
seem to make them around Easter.  These are made with a simple roll dough,
currants are rolled up in the dough (as in the manner of cinnamon buns, but
without cinammon).  They are then slice and coated generously with honey
before baking.

Later,
Jazzbel