Recipe: Hamburger Buns

ATroi37324@aol.com
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 11:53:39 EST
v103.n010.2
I made this recipe for hamburger buns a few days ago. Needed some buns for
hamburgers I was cooking for dinner and didn't feel like going to the store
so decided to try to make some for the first time. Couldn't believe how
puffed up they got. Great recipe. I made 7 big buns and 1 medium but next
time I think I will try to make about 9 buns out of this much dough. Below
is the recipe in case someone wants to try it.

Rosemary

Hamburger Buns
R. Barnett - breadmachinedigest.com - Makes 8 to 12 Buns (I made 8 big buns)

Hamburger Bun Dough
1 1/2 Cups Water (I had to add quite a few tablespoons of extra water)
4 Cups Bread Flour
3 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Tablespoons Dry Milk or Dry Buttermilk
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 1/2 Teaspoons Bread Machine Yeast

Place all of the ingredients in your machines fully assembled pan in the
order recommended for your machine. Select the dough or manual cycle and
press start. Once the dough cycle is finished, remove the dough to a
floured surface. Knead the dough for a few minutes to remove any trapped
air. If the dough is sticky, knead in some flour. Or do this if dough
sticks to your fingers. Shape the dough in a smooth ball and dust lightly
with flour

Using a bench knife. a dough knife or a sharp knife divide the dough into
quarters. Divide the dough quarters in half. This will give you 8 dough
chunks. This is as far as I go in dividing the dough as I get 8 good sized
buns. However, if you want 12 smaller buns, divide each dough quarter in
thirds. This will give you 12 dough chunks. Whichever size you choose try
to make them as close in size as possible. Next, take the ball of dough in
your hands and start pulling and tucking the edges under and to the middle
of the dough. Keep doing this until you have a nice smooth round ball of
dough. Then turn the dough ball over and pinch the ends together to seal
the flaps of dough. Place the dough ball on a floured surface and repeat
with the remaining dough balls. Using the palm of your hand, flatten the
dough ball to about 3/4 of an inch thick. Repeat this with the other dough
balls.

For hamburger buns I use the King Arthur hamburger bun pan (5100). It has
indentations in it that each flattened disc of dough goes into. It can make
six at a time. You can also use a cookie sheet that has been lightly
greased Cover the pan with a damp light towel and place in a warm place to
rise. Allow to rise for 1 hour.

Once the buns have risen for an hour, brush the tops with melted butter or
egg wash (1 egg white + 1 tbsp. water and mix well). Place them in a cold
oven. Set the oven to 300 F and set a timer for 30 minutes. When the timer
goes off, turn the oven up to 400 F and set the timer for 15 minutes. When
the buns are done baking, remove them from the oven and allow to cool for
30 to 45 minutes before using. Repeat Steps 6 - 9 with the remaining dough
balls if needed