delurk

"Bev" <sinkcar@prodigy.net>
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:12:27 -0600
v103.n009.22
Howdy,

Bev C delurking (again) to mention an experiment with fresh ground
grains.  This past fall we were remodeling one of our outbuildings.  As a
result my grain bin (a 55-gallon barrel) was buried under piles of
construction materials.   I was out of home-ground flour (which I store in
the freezer) couldn't get to the wheat berries AND we were out of bread!

So - for the first time in probably 10 years, I purchased some ww flour and
made bread. It was bread ok.  But it had none of the fresh, nutty taste of
the homeground flour. What a difference grinding your own makes.

I notice that with cornmeal as well.  I frequently serve cornbread to
guests because they rave about it so much - and I'm convinced it gets its
sweet corny taste from the fresh-ground corn.

Back to semi lurk <G>
Bev