Recipe: Evelyn's Dinner Rolls

ATroi37324@aol.com
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 12:10:27 EST
v103.n009.12
This is the best dinner roll recipe that I have ever made. It is a recipe
that is not for the breadmachine but that I have made many times in the
machine on Dough cycle.. They come out fluffy and delicious. The original
recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of salt and 3 tablespoons of sugar but since I
don't really like a sweeter dinner roll, I changed the recipe to only use 1
teaspoon of sugar instead and reduced the salt. Makes a large batch of
rolls that you can freeze for later use.

Evelyn's Dinner Rolls

2 cups lukewarm milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 tsp salt (I use 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 tsp salt)
3 Tbsp sugar (I use 1 tsp)
2 eggs, beaten
5 cups bread flour (add up to 1/2 cup more by tablespoons, if necessary)
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

Add all ingredients to bread machine. Process on Dough cycle. Because this
is too much flour for the bread machine, use a rubber spatula to help the
machine mix the dough. After the slow beginning cycle (about 10 minutes),
turn the machine off and restart it again. After about 10 minutes, check
dough consistency and add extra flour a tablespoon at a time until reach
desired consistency. When cycle is complete, punch dough down and pull out
and roll into a ball and cover and let rest for about 10 minutes. Roll
dough out to about 1" thick and cut out with biscuit cutter. Place on
greased cake pan close together. Let rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Brush
with following:

1 egg white
2 tsp water

Mix well and brush on rolls just before baking. (Can sprinkle with sesame
seeds, etc). Bake at 425 F for 10-12 minutes.

Rosemary