Rising problems with pumpkin/squash bread

Eric Fung <efung@acm.org>
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 08:07:33 -0500
v103.n007.22
I've made the Cranberry-Walnut Pumpkin Bread in "Baking with Julia" twice
now and am having trouble with it. The recipe calls for 1 cup of squash
puree which is mixed into the dough using a stand mixer. Because the dough
is so wet, I'm stirring it by hand, but I don't think this is quite the
same as kneading it.

The problem is that the enriched dough does not rise very much at all. Not
during the initial two hour proofing, nor in the fridge, and not in the
oven very much. This is one of the few breads I've made that haven't turned
out as described. The finished loaves taste alright, a bit dense though.

Anyone else tried making this loaf by hand with better success?