proof boxes

DCEgelston@aol.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:26:09 EST
v103.n006.15
In bread-bakers.v103.n004.17, David writes:

<< "For bread dough to develop well, it is important that it be left to
rise in an area that is not only fairly warm but also draft-free and moist."

I used to think this too, and I would turn my oven on for a few minutes and
then off again and use it as a proof box.

Peter Reinhart has changed my opinion on this, and I now prefer long cool
rises to fast warm rises. >>

Although I too am partial to bread made using long, cool rises, sometimes
I'm in a hurry (usually not thinking far enough ahead). For quick dinner
bread, I'll make rolls, breadsticks, or focaccia, and all rise quickly when
shoved into the dishwasher at the end of its cycle, or the dryer, when
things are still moist.

Of course either appliance is "off" and, with the dryer, the bread and the
wash are protected from each other.

-Diane (who is a lurker, extraordinaire)