[no subject]

FREDERICKA COHEN <cohenfs@prodigy.net>
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:12:08 -0800 (PST)
v103.n005.17
When I requested advice last week for my bread knife search, I had no idea
what a wonderful experience was awaiting me!

I had 29 wonderful responses! The replies came .... literally! ... from
across the USA as well as the UK, Canada, and the Maritime provinces. I
haven't written so many thank you notes on one afternoon since my wedding
in 1952.

This not a phoney group. People look for the instrument that does the job
before they look at the name. That's why the consensus seemed to be $20
will be the tops and there was great selection at even lower prices.

(I had this all written ,stored in draft, and every thing after "prices"
went into space. You may get 2 versions. In the meantime, I am trying to
remember)

Chicago Cutlery, Cutco, Smart and Final stores, Black and Decker and
Cuisinart eletric knives, fiddle bow knives ...... these are the names that
were frequently mentioned.

In addition to the serrated vs scalloped edge comments, there were quite a
few who use their slicers for a good job. (I pulled out my TJ Maxx bargain
Chicago Cutlery with the great handle and it did a fine job.)

Nobody wanted a "knuckle banger" because with bread the motion is usually
downward as opposed to a horizontal or angled slice. You can always sample
the heft at a boutique and then get your bargain on-line.

Several arthritics recommended the electric knives. Since I am severely
arthritic and struggling with a first generation (circa early '60s) awkward
electric, I am waiting for a Linens'n'Things or Bed, Bath and Beyond coupon
to buy a new one.

In the meantime, I bought a highly recommended dishwasher safe scalloped
knife from Montana Bakery ($5.95 on line plus sales tax if they have a
store in your state). I decided that a reputable artisanal bakery wouldn't
sell something that would ruin their merchandise.

Using feminine logic, I took the money I "saved" and hit the Talbots 70%
off sale! Now I also have three new sweaters and 30 new friends.

Reggie, I am sorry if this is too long but it is a tribute to the site you
established and the people who use it.

Fredericka

[[Editor's Note: Fredericka - your post isn't too long.  Thank you for your
compliment to Jeff and myself but the compliment belongs to everyone on
list ... everyone is an essential part of the list ... enjoy your new
clothes and friends :) ... Reggie]]