Knives and Stoves

"Ken Vaughan" <kvaughan@ptialaska.net>
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:05:37 -0900
v103.n005.8
Commercial Stoves --

I have looked with some longing at Wolfe and Viking Stoves.  They are
commercial products that I have used when cooking in commercial standard
kitchens.  The tops are designed for much higher heat levels than
residential stoves and require a hood with external vents (and fire
protection).  Costs of remodel for hood installation has been my barrier.
Both mfg are now advertising high end residential models.

I have baked in these ovens with great success.  All were gas fueled and
all were successful in providing constant heat.  The high mass and
industrial thermostat are probably the reason.

Bread Knives -

I too have been wondering about bread knives, especially with the wide cost
range from the brand in King Arthur and other catalogs to Chef Tony's
infomercial.  I still like to cut into a loaf fresh from the oven when it
is still cooking and the knives I have (all low cost/cheap) tear and mangle
more than cut.  The blade advertised in the King Arthur catalog alleges
that it will cut hot bread successfully.  (I know the bread is still
cooking, but at 190 internal temperature it is sure good and eatable with
only a 5 minute rest).

Muffins --

I appreciate the muffin recipes.  I acquired a silicone muffin pan this
fall and continue to appreciate how well muffins pop out and how well it
cleans up.  There are a wide range of products and I ended up with the
solid resin form (red) instead of the silicone foam version.  Others
experiences would be appreciated as I am tending towards getting
more.  Almost as good as the silpat baking pad.

Thanks

Ken Vaughan in rainy Juneau Alaska