Cajun Onion Bread - Disney

kitpath@earthlink.net
19 Jan 2003 19:02:58 Pacific Standard Time
v103.n005.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Cajun Onion Bread Disney

Recipe By     :Disney Institute, Florida
Categories    : Breads & Biscuits               {Posted}

   1         tablespoon  sugar
   1         tablespoon  active dry yeast
   1 1/2           cups  water -- lukewarm
   4 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour
   2          teaspoons  Kosher salt
   2        tablespoons  olive oil
      1/2           cup  onions -- medium; diced small
   1         tablespoon  sugar
   1         tablespoon  Cajun spice

1. Combine the sugar, yeast, and water in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve
the yeast. Stir in the flour, a little at a time.

2. Mix in the salt then knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.

3. Let the dough rise in a warm area until doubled in size.

4. While the dough is rising, heat a medium sized saute pan over medium
heat. When the pan is hot, add a small amount of oil, let it get hot. Add
the onions and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. When the
onions have started to "sweat", add about 1 tablespoon sugar and continue
to cook, scraping the bottom of the pan as needed. Cook until the onions
are nice and brown. Drain and set aside.

5. Oil a jelly roll pan, punch down dough, and spread in the pan evenly.
Brush the top of the dough with olive oil and allow to rise until doubled
in size.

6. Sprinkle Kosher salt on top of the dough. Bake at 400 F. for about 10
minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle onions on top. Bake another 10
minutes or until golden brown.

Source:
   "Disney's Healthy Cooking: Wine, Wonder and Song 1996"
S(Archive):
   "kitmail from TeAntae Turner 1997 Feb"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 206 Calories; 3g Fat (12.4% calories
from fat); 5g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
370mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable;
1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : "I've received a lot of requests for the rest of my Disney recipes
and finally found them all. I've got a bunch so I'll send a few at a time
to the list. I'll send them by the class I took them in at the Disney
Institute." TeAntae