Re: Buttermilk Bread

"Don Bischoff" <taktez@earthlink.net>
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 15:48:52 -0600
v103.n002.11
Hi Fredericka,

Here's  a recipe for buttermilk bread that I've been making for about five
or six years.  I think it meets the criterion that you have outlined.  The
density of the final product will be determined to a great extent by how
long you proof it.  A shorter proof time will give you the "body" (more
dense loaf) that you're looking for.  It originally was a bread machine
recipe so I converted it to a two loaf recipe and make it using
conventional means.

The directions are rather terse, but that's how I write them.  If you've
been baking for a while you'll get the drift.  If you find that you do need
more information, however, just shoot me an email and I'll be glad to
expand on it for you.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Dede's Buttermilk Bread

Recipe By     :Bread Machine Magic - Book of Helpful Hints - Rehberg & Conway
Categories    : Breads: Yeast

   2               cups  water -- see note
      1/2           cup  buttermilk, dried
      1/4           cup  honey
   2          teaspoons  salt
   2        tablespoons  margarine, unsalted -- melted
   6               cups  bread flour
   4 1/2      teaspoons  yeast

Knead.
Ferment once.
Punch down.
Rest about 15 minutes.
Form into 2 loaves.
Put into pans and proof.
Bake in a 350 F preheated oven until internal temp. reaches 190 degrees F.

Hope this works out for you and...

Happy Baking!

Don Bischoff