re: Communion bread

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 11:04:18 -0700
v103.n002.5
On 31 Dec 2002 Ngozi Osuji <nosuji@hotvoice.com> wrote:

 > Could you please give me information on the best machine (or other
 > equipment) for making communion bread, the makers and cost. I will
 > also like to have a cost effective recipe.

Different churches have different sorts of communion breads or
wafers.  Some have a thin translucent wafer of unleavened bread, often with
a raised area in the form of the cross.  Making these can be difficult.

Other groups use any unleavened bread.  And one or two groups I've been in
just used whole wheat bread fresh from a bread machine.

To some people the spirit and intent are more important than the form.

In this area, many of the Episcopal churches have a member bake an
unleavened whole wheat bread, which is broken as it is given to
communicants.  Here is a recipe that my wife likes a lot.

Title: Whole Wheat Communion Wafers

6 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda

Sift well and add every thing else.

1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons Honey
1/2 cup shortning
2 cups warm water

Mix well.  If dough seems too dry to roll sprinkle with a few more drops of
water.  Sprinkle white flour on board (not whole wheat it sticks to your
hands)  Using a hand full of dough roll or pat a round about 1/4 inch
thick.  Each round should be about the size of a 1 pound coffee can lid.

Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter make a cross on the top. Do not cut
completely through.  Bake at 350 F on a lightly greased cookie sheet, 8 to
10 nminutes.  The rounds should be light brown on the bottom and bounce
back to your touch.  Let the rounds cool completely before storing them in
Ziplock bags. Freeze to store.

 From the kitchen of Mike Avery
(mavery@mail.otherwhen.com)

As a closing note, a friend of my wife's gave her the recipe.  While I have
saved the recipe, I have not used it.

Mike