Reggie's unknown breads....

"JJ" <dibranchia@earthlink.net>
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 09:35:44 -0500
v102.n059.3
 > Frisian Sugar Loaf - unusual sweet bread made using whole sugar
 > lumps that melt as the bread is baked to give delicious pockets
 > of sweetness, which contrast with the cinnamon in the soft white crumb.

If I remember correctly, Bernard Clayton has this in his book.  I haven't
made it, but I do have it marked....when I get the chance I'll type it
up....

 > Chinese Bread
 > Spring Onion Bread (Chung Yan Beng) - from Hong Kong, an extraordinary
 > pan-fried bread, made uniquely using hot roux (a cooked flour and butter
 > paste) worked into a similar dough made with cold water.  A complicated
 > process involving spreading each piece of dough with a hot oil and flour
 > roux and then finally rolling it up with spring onions  (scallions).  These
 > ring-shaped breads are fried in oil and have a delicious crisp outside
 > while inside you bite into the layers of soft dough around the
 > spring onions.

I've seen recipes for this, but never made or seen them....

This is one I've got in my to try list..it's vegan, and it's not made quite
what you describe, but hey, a recipe's a recipe...*GRIN*

BRYANNA'S GREEN ONION PANCAKES Makes 8
 From my book "Authentic Chinese Cuisine for the Contemporary Kitchen".

This is a very popular northern Chinese bread, eaten often for breakfast
with Savory Rice Porridge or soup. These are usually made very large and cut
into wedges, but I prefer to make smaller ones like tortillas-- they are
easier to handle.

They take a little time to make, but it's mostly resting time to let the
dough relax and cooperate while you roll it out. The dough can be made in a
food processor in seconds, and they cook very quickly. Plan on two 30 minute
rest periods, plus another 30-45 minutes for the rest of the procedure.

2 c. unbleached flour
1 tsp. salt
1 c. very hot water
2 T. plus 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 more tsp. salt
1/2 c. minced green onions
about 8 tsp. oil

Place the flour and 1 tsp. salt in a medium bowl. Add the boiling water all
at once and mix with a fork until a ball forms. Knead briefly.

To make in a food processor,
place the flour and 1 tsp. salt in the processor bowl, then add the boiling
water through the top while the machine is running. Run until the dough
forms a ball and turn off immediately.

Place the dough in a plastic bag, closed tightly, or cover the bowl with a
wet towel, and let the dough rest for 30 minutes.

Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll into balls. On a lightly
floured surface, roll each ball into a thin circle. Drizzle each circle with
1 tsp. of sesame oil and spread it around the circle with your fingertips to
coat the surface. Sprinkle this with about 1/8 tsp. of salt and 1 T. of
minced green onion, distributing it evenly over the circle. Now roll up each
coated circle into a tight "jelly-roll". Flatten this roll with a rolling
pin. Roll up each flattened roll into a coil (they will look sort of like
cinnamon buns). Pinch the edge to seal it. Cover these coils with plastic
and let rest another 30 minutes to relax the dough again.
Place each coil on end and flatten it into a patty, then roll the patty out
into a thin pancake again,, about 6" across.
You can stack the pancakes up with a piece of waxed paper inbetween.

To cook, heat a heavy 8 or 9" skillet, such as cast iron, over medium-high
heat. Drizzle 1 tsp. oil into the pan for each pancake, swirling it around
the pan. Add 1 pancake to the pan at a time. Loosen the edges of the pancake
with a spatula. Cover the pan with a lid for 2 minutes. The pancake should
puff up a little bit be golden-brown and crispy on the bottom. Flip it over
and cook it uncovered for about 2 minutes more. repeat until all the
pancakes are done.

The pancakes can be kept warm while you cook them on a platter in a 200
degrees F oven with the door open a little bit. Try to serve them
freshly-made, but, if you have to make them ahead, store them at room
temperature, cooled first, and then placed in a plastic bag. Reheat, covered
with a lid, them on a dry medium-hot skillet, watching carefully. You just
want to heat them , not burn them!